THE MEDITATION-OBSERVATION EXERCISE
by Lawrence Wilson, MD
© January 2015, The Center for Development
To download the above meditation audio files to your computer:
Right-click on the link, or use control-click if you have a Mac computer and cannot right click. Doing this will bring up a dialog box and one option is “Save link as”. Choose this option and it will save the entire file to your desktop, or wherever you want it.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Meditation is a very commonly-used word. It generally refers to some type of prayer, or a method of calming or stilling the mind. The word sometimes has a religious connotation, but not necessarily. However, in this article and in all articles on this website, the word meditation refers only to one particular mental exercise. This is very important to understand. It is a wonderful and powerful way to train the mind, relax the mind, and move a powerful healing energy downward through the body.
In fact, using this exercise is the only way to move enough energy through the body as you age to cause significant regeneration of the body. The other aspects of nutritional balancing science and other healing methods will help everyone to some degree, but this is the most powerful and the most essential aspect of rejuvenation of the body and brain.
The Roy Masters mental exercise, with my modification, is the most powerful and advanced part of every nutritional balancing program. My mentor, Dr. Paul Eck, did not include it in his original nutritional balancing programs. However, he was very aware of Mr. Masters and had great respect for his work. I include this exercise because I saw very early on how it fits in perfectly with the principles and application of nutritional balancing science. It is simple, very safe (unlike most other meditative exercises), and totally healing when done properly.
Other meditations are not recommended. I know this sounds very arrogant and harsh, but there is a reason for it. I am familiar with many others, and they are all effective for various purposes. However, only the Roy Masters exercise achieves certain purposes that are discussed below. Others, in fact, are not often safe, nor are they as effective for deep healing, no matter what other effects they have.
These include transcendental meditation, Vipassana, Zen, and most others. Some of these others are fine for certain purposes, but they do not accomplish the same thing as the Roy Masters exercise, especially with the modifications I suggest.
THIS METHOD NOW USED BY THE US MILITARY
Here is a recent article that describes how this particular mental exercise is helping our soldiers:
IS ROY MASTERS A CULT?
Several articles on the internet claim that Roy Masters, and his Foundation Of Human Understanding, is basically a cult. I would disagree completely! He has no organization to join. There is no Roy church or members or group, although you can donate to his foundation if you like his teachings. I’ve never heard him claim he is like Jesus, or anything of that nature.
Mr. Masters is a teacher, and any teaching can be misinterpreted and misused. His is no exception. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO LIKE ROY MASTERS TO USE THE EXERCISE EFFECTIVELY. Similarly, you don’t need to like cooked vegetables, coffee enemas or saunas to gain the benefits from them.
The meditation-observation exercise, as Mr. Masters calls it, stands on its own. He takes no credit for it, and says he did it spontaneously as a child. With my modification of it, described below, it is even more powerful in its effects. It brings up one’s emotional and mental issues in a peaceful, but direct way, so some people don’t like it. However, it works beautifully and scientifically.
SECTION II. THE OBSERVATION EXERCISE PROCEDURE
I will describe this in writing. However, most people find it far easier to learn it while listening to a description of how to do it. An audio version is available at no charge on this website by clicking on the links at the beginning of this article. You may download the exercise from these links.
However, if you prefer to buy the newer version of the exercise on a compact disc, click here for the meditation CD.
The Roy Masters exercise: Sit in a straight-backed chair, with your arms hanging loosely at your side. A variation is to lie down and place your hands at your sides. Close your eyes.
Become aware of your right hand. Just notice it. Do not concentrate on it or visualize it, exactly. Just be aware of it and notice it. Do not force anything to happen.
It is often easier to be aware of one finger at a time rather than the whole hand at once. Move your awareness from finger to finger, but do not move your awareness to the rest of your body. Keep your awareness on your hand. It should start to tingle a little bit.
At the same time, look through the middle of your forehead, as though you were sitting inside your head and looking out. It should feel like you are sitting inside a cave with nothing much to look at, so you just look straight ahead. Do not roll your eyes up in your head or do anything else. Just look out of your head through the middle of your forehead.
MODIFYING THE ROY MASTERS EXERCISE
I found that a more powerful and somewhat different effect occurs if one changes the exercise in the following ways:
- Imagine energy entering your body from the top of the head. It does NOT enter from the crown of the head, and not from the forehead area. The top of the head is called the main etheric energy center.
It is helpful to imagine a 2” hole right in the middle of the top of your head, where the energy enters the body.
- Move this energy downward through the body as forcefully as you can. It moves through the head and the neck, down the arms and into the hands. Also, move the energy downward forcefully from the top of the head all the way down into the toes. Do this continuously and very forcefully.
- Imagine 2” holes in each hand and in the bottom center of each foot where the energy emerges from your body.
- Never, ever move the energy sideways, and the worst thing to do is to move it upwards. Never move energy in any direction except straight downwards for maximum effect and safety.
- Do toe breathing while doing this exercise. Toe breathing is a bit unusual, but it gets easier with practice. To do it, imagine as you inhale the breath entering the body through the big toe of each foot and moving to the abdomen. Then, as you exhale, imagine the breath leaving the body through the same big toes.
Breathe as deeply as you can. Most people like the 3-part standard breath, which is:
- a) First breathe into the abdomen to the count of 3 or 4. If you do this correctly, your belly will move out if you are sitting or it will expand upward if you are lying down.
- b) Then breathe into your ribs on each side of your chest to a count of 3 or 4. If you do this correctly, the sides of your chest will move outward.
- c) Finally, breathe into your upper chest to the count of 3 or 4 (or less if that is all you can do, at first). When done correctly, your upper chest will rise upward, a little.
- Eventually, shift your identify away from yourself as a body, and instead identify as the energy flowing down from your head to your feet. This is somewhat unusual, but necessary for the greatest success with the exercise.
- If you do the exercise correctly, the entire body will begin to gently tingle. It is a somewhat sensual feeling.
Relax the body. In order to do this, one must relax the body a lot, more and more, so that more energy will move through it. Also, one must relax the muscles a lot so that the energy will flow. Also, the back must be straight. You may lie down, sit or even stand up (not recommended), but the spine must be straight in order for the energy to move easily through the body.
Also, the legs must be either bent at the knee as in a sitting position, or straight down, as when lying down or standing up walking, for example.
Allow and assist energy to flow into the top of the head and down the body to the right hand. Encourage this energy to flow by drawing it down into the body. Slowly this flow and the tingling of the right hand will increase. Eventually, you will allow and move the energy down from the head into both hands and then into the feet as well. Both hands and both feet will tingle a little bit letting you know that you are doing it right.
To enhance the exercise, empty the body and mind and imagine the energy flowing into the void or emptiness of the body. You can imagine a giant vacuum cleaner or force pulling the energy down from the top of the head and into the right hand and down to the feet. You can also imagine standing under a giant shower or waterfall with the energy cascading down into the body and down the front of the body. You can also visualize lying down in a river, with the water flowing forcefully from your head to your feet, while your feet are braced against a rock so that you are not swept away by the current.
These visualizations can definitely help a process that is real, namely, bringing a certain energy down from the head to the feet as forcefully as you can.
THE NECK PULL
This is a wonderful and powerful exercise that enhances the meditation practice. It moves energy downward much more forcefully. To learn about it, please read The Neck Pull on this website.
These visualizations can help you understand what must be done to do the mental exercise properly:
- The accordion or sponge. Imagine pushing the body down, mentally. This is like closing an accordion or squeezing a sponge downward. I am not sure why this works, but it seems to move more energy through much better. In your mind, (not physically), fold the body down like an accordion, and place your head under your feet with the body squeezed into a small space like a closed accordion.
- Move the attention from one finger to another. This was mentioned earlier.
- Magnetizing an iron rod. Think of the exercise as being like magnetizing a metal rod. This mental exercise literally cuts the ether around the body, and liberates etheric energy that flows into the body. It is somewhat similar to stroking a piece of iron with a magnet to magnetize a metal bar.
- Inducing a current in a wire. Like what happens in an electrical transformer, moving energy in a downward direction only through the body induces a flow of energy inside the body.
- You can either push the energy downward, or pull or draw the energy down the front of the body. Pulling or drawing the energy down is usually a little better, like drawing Heaven down to earth. Any visualization that you can think of to help with this may move more energy down the body (see below).
- Beyond the feet. Move the energy not just down to your feet, but even beyond your feet. This also appears to help.
- The bathtub. Imagine you are a human-shaped bathtub full of water. Now open large drain holes in your feet, your hands and one in the perineum area (between the legs). Imagine energy (the water) pouring out these holes downward (toward your feet).
- The bride of Christ. God, an angel or the universe is flowing golden energy through you, like a divine sexual experience, from the head down through the body, causing a pleasurable tingling sensation all over the body.
- Breathe in and out through your toes. This may sound strange, but it helps move the energy downward and keep it downward.
- Keep your shoulders down at all times. Do not let them ride upwards while doing any of these visualizations.
- The coffee enhancement. Do a coffee enema or even better, women can do a vaginal coffee implant while meditating. This definitely makes the exercise easier.
- The wind tunnel. Imagine you are lying in a large wind tunnel with the fan sucking the air from the direction of your feet. Air is moving from your head to your feet at 500 miles per hour, pulling your body forcefully downward toward your feet.
- The water pull. Imagine your head is tied to the back of a speed boat, and the body is tossed in the waves as the boat speeds up.
- The extruder. Imagine you are being forced through a small tube, head first. You are stationary and the tube moves down your body from head to feet, squeezing and shriveling up the body.
- The wire pull. Imagine there is a wire extending from your face down to your genitals, a little inside the front of the body. You are being pulled downward by this wire more and more.
- The cookie cutter. Imagine a giant cookie cutter moving over the body, from head to feet, reshaping you in the image of God.
- The Sculptor’s chisel. Imagine you are a block of uncut stone and the Divine Sculptor chisels and drills into you. Even though there is pain, it slowly turns you into His beautiful sculpture.
- The baby pull. Women, and even men, can imagine a problem birth where the doctor must use forceps and is forcefully pulling down on your body to extract the baby from your body.
- The weights. Imagine weights on your hands and your feet, and maybe on your perineum, too, forcefully pulling you downward toward your fee.
- The rack. Imagine your head and feet are tied to an old-fashioned torture machine called the rack. Slowly the operator turns a crank that pulls your feet downward away from your head. It opens and pulls apart all your joints.
- The fish hook pull. Imagine fish hooks all over your body that are pulling your body downward. Your eyes, ears, nose, chin, fingers, toes, jaw, breasts, belly button, genitals, knee caps, ankles and more are all being pulled away from your head by the hooks. Keep your mouth closed, however, although you can feel a downward pull on your temporo-mandibular joints.
- The giant earring pull. Imagine you have on gigantic African ear rings and they are weighing down the ears so much that they are pulling the ears away from your head. You can do the same with a giant nose ring, belly button ring and even a genital ring.
- The Jeshua pull. Imagine pulling Jesus or Jeshua down from Heaven until he completely covers and is superimposed over your body.
- Tight boot pull. Imagine having a friend pulling hard on your extremely tight boots and too tight blue jeans, trying to help you take them off.
- The shark pull. Imagine you were swimming in beautiful Hawaii or the Caribbean, but a shark has grabbed your bathing suit, and is trying hard to pull it off.
- The massage. Imagine someone moving their hands down your body, dragging it downward – only downward and never in any other direction.
- Gently touch your tongue to the roof of your mouth. This will make it easier.
- Close the anal sphincter. This also makes moving the energy downward easier. Of course, you will have to close the anal sphincter if you do a coffee enema with the meditation.
- Other suggestions that often help to move energy downward: when doing the exercise lying down, try having your palms facing upward. Also, try doing it in the nude as a symbol of letting everything go. Also, take a deep breath and then quickly push your shoulders down. You should feel a little pop in your neck. Also, men – do not squeeze down on the penis and testis. Women – keep the vagina open; do not try to close it.
- The twist. As you are doing the exercise, twist your neck back and forth gently, pull your toes down, twist your hips, and pull the knees. This is all part of the Spinal Twist exercise, and it will help move the energy through your body.
- Anything that causes gurgling in the intestines while you do the exercise is helpful.
- An exotic suggestion that works: Get a basic electrical test meter that measures milliamps. Hook one of the probe wires to your head and one to your feet. You will need some silver electrodes and electrically conductive paste or cream. See how much amperage you can generate as you do the exercise. The more, the better, and it will increase with practice.
ADVANCED EMPATHIC SUGGESTIONS
Empathic healing means using force supplied by someone or something else to help you to heal. So for instance:
- Hug an old oak tree, or sit with your back to the tree. If done right, you will see this will make your meditation easier. The reason is that oak trees, and some other tree species, have a powerful downward moving energy that you can be in the presence of to help you move your energy downward.
- Lie on your bed when meditating so that your feet face the equator of the earth. (For example, your head to the North and your feet to the South if you live in the Northern hemisphere.) This works because there is a natural flow of etheric energy from the poles to the equator of the earth. If you line up properly, you can take advantage of this flow to enhance your meditation.
- Open water enhancer. Buy 3 bottles of Ice Age Glacial Spring Water. It is a Canadian bottled water available in many locations. Any size bottle will do, though the larger size is best. Place one bottle about 6 inches from each foot, and one bottle between your legs, about 6 inches from the perineum. This water has the unusual property of pulling energy toward itself from your body. Many people can feel it.
- Sit in a down vortex. This one is tricky and not for beginners. Some people can feel where there is a natural downward-moving energy vortex on earth. They are scattered around. One can sit over such a vortex and take advantage of the naturally downward-moving energy in such a location to enhance your meditation. Be careful, however, because some energy vortices are not healthy to be around. If you do not feel well, stop doing it.
Friend/partner empathic suggestions. Here are more empathic suggestions if you have a cooperative partner or friend:
- Close by. Two people can sit or lie down next to each other and both practice the meditation. The effort of each will be felt, to a degree, by the other, and this will make it easier for both people to move energy downward. Both people must sit or lie down facing the same direction.
- Group meditation. More than two people – as many as you like – can also do the exercise at the same time. Ideally, have everyone in the class or group facing the same direction, either while sitting or lying on the floor. All will benefit from the efforts of each person.
- The pull exercise. One person lies down and does the exercise. The other person, who we will call “the puller”, sits or stands next to the meditator. The puller than pulls downward on the meditator’s feet, also visualizing the energy flowing from the other person’s head to feet. If you wish, the puller can pull down on other parts of the meditator’s body such as the toes, the hips, the knees, the hands, the fingers, the ears, the nose, the mouth, etc. Try it and then switch positions.
- Heart awakening maneuver. One person lies down and does the meditation. The other person stands over the person and moves his or her hands down the person’s body (never upwards). The hands can touch the body, or it often works better if the hands are just above the body in the energy field of the body. The energy field has layers, so one can move the hands down the body at a distance of one inch above the body, then two inches above the body, and then three or four inches above the body. The effect may be somewhat different at different layers of the energy field.
- Two people hugging, while doing the exercise, moves much more energy downward. You can take advantage of the energy moving down provided by your friend or partner. Also, try imagining many donut-shaped rings (or torus in technical language) moving downward around both of you while hugging. The donut rings move downward very fast. Also, they are tight around the bodies and squeeze you together as they move down the bodies.
- It is possible to enhance the exercise a lot with a sexual partner. This is more complex and explained in the article entitled Down Sex. This is the only kind of sex I suggest. It takes a little practice, but is easy once you get the idea.
A SAFE EXERCISE
Safety must be a primary concern when one considers any mental or health practice. Many meditations are not safe. One can overdo on them, lose awareness, “space out” and experience other harmful effects. In my experience, the Roy Masters exercise is very safe for the following reasons:
- It is easy to learn at home. It does not require any special training, initiation, paying fees, or trained teachers or a group to help you with it. This is a safety feature, since teachers and groups can corrupt meditations, especially.
- You can do it as often and for as long each session as you wish. This cannot be said of many other meditations. For example, please avoid any prayers or meditations that send your energy upward, as they may produce marvelous effects on the mind, but may not be safe in the long term.
- It will not lead you astray. Some types of prayers, such as affirmations, can easily lead people in directions that are not healthy. For example, some affirmations cause people to believe in things that are not really true, such as “I am happier and healthier every day.” This statement might be true, but often it is not and is just an attempt to brainwash yourself.
- It does not cause visions, hallucinations or other psychic phenomena.
- It is grounding and centering, which tends to be far safer than most others.
- It does not cause strain to the body or to the mind. For example, many prayers and meditation teachers suggest one assume uncomfortable postures that are not needed, in our view, and can even damage the body over time. This particularly applies to Oriental systems such as yoga and tai chi, unfortunately. These can be good, but one must have a teacher who continuously checks to be sure there is no strain on the ligaments and joints of the body.
- It is not hypnotic. In fact, Mr. Masters calls it the anti-hypnosis, as it will break many light hypnotic trances easily. Mr. Masters was a hypnotist before he taught meditation and states that this exercise can help break the effect of hypnotic speech, images, etc.
- No dogma or doctrines are needed. In other words, there is no need or attempt to inculcate certain doctrines in order for this exercise to work. It is a pure exercise in this regard. Dogma may help some people, but it is not needed and this is another safety feature since one is not forced to learn any particular information. The exercise is mainly about removing images, thoughts, and emotions that are revealed to be untrue as one progresses with the exercise. This is very different from affirmations that seek to influence the brain in ways that are sometimes not healthy, though the affirmations may seem benign.
- It does not develop “psychic abilities”. Some may see this as a disadvantage. However, in our experience, most people are better off without these abilities until they are sufficiently balanced to handle them properly.
- A slow, steady and safe way to open the energy centers of the body and heal the body. This is a great key and benefit of this exercise that cannot be said of most prayers and meditations, sadly. The reason is the exercise is non-specific. That is, it does not target any particular thought, body organ or area, or anything else. It might be called instead an exercise in pure energy awareness of the whole person.
SECTION III. GENERAL EFFECTS OF THIS EXERCISE
Two primary actions take place. The first is that it helps to relax, calm and gain control over mind.
This is always the first step with most mental exercises such as prayer, affirmations, and meditations. You may see that your mind is not really in your control and it wanders, races, gets distracted and sometimes roams sort of like a wild animal.
Repeatedly doing the exercise thousands of times slowly bring the mind under your control, somewhat like training an unruly animal or badly behaved child.
A second aspect is more special. This exercise only is able to bring into the body and mind a special energy that is healing and that actually transforms the body and mind in unusual ways. This is different from other exercises, although I believe that it is the intent of most prayer, as well.
This energy is itself unseen for the most part, but is in fact the basic ‘stuff’ or ‘ether’ out of which all created matter is built. In other cultures and traditions, it is known as prana, chi, qi, vital force, life energy or perhaps zero-point energy.
The more of this energy that we take in and pass through our bodies, the better we feel. Also, by absorbing more of it, one may be able to develop certain brain centers that otherwise remain dormant in most people. This, in turn, can cause a person to develop new abilities and talents, such as enhanced perception, and others.
Personal experience. I have used this method for over 33 years on a daily basis. It continues to help me heal the physical body and it continues to develop my mind in ways I would not have imagined. This is the reason I continue to recommend it.
Is it religious? Mr. Masters is a Christian. However, the mental exercise he teaches is completely non-denominational. It also requires no religious training or affiliation, although familiarity with certain Biblical concepts is helpful to understand it.
For example, the Lord’s Prayer states that “Thy will be done on earth, as it is already done in Heaven”. This exercise, and this is the only one that I know of, is putting this prayer in action as you bring the energy of Heaven straight down from your head down into you feet. You are literally bringing Heaven to earth.
Mr. Masters says he learned it spontaneously as a child and just found it gave him a special kind of peace and perspective, so he just kept doing it. His religious beliefs came later when, though the insights he gained due, in part, to practicing the exercise each day, he realized the importance of the bible and its truths. For more of Mr. Masters ideas, I suggest his small book entitled How Your Mind Will Keep You Well. This is his basic book about the meditation exercise. The others deal with specific issues such as parents, sexuality, food, medicine and other topics.
Reading is not the answer. Mr. Masters states clearly that reading about meditation will never solve your problems. Instead, learn to meditate every day and most problems will slowly disappear from your life. I agree with this, for the most part, and so I do not recommend reading a lot of books about meditation for this reason. However, Mr. Masters’ basic book, How Your Mind Can Keep You Well is helpful to get started, for a basic understanding of the procedure, and why it is different than all the others I have encountered.
EMPTYING THE MIND
The means of bringing in the new energy is most important. It is to empty the mind or self of as much of this world as possible for the short period of meditation. This is critical to understand. Roy Masters does not emphasize this enough, but it is at the very core or essence of this exercise if one is to succeed with it.
The concept is discussed in the Bible, for example, in the phrase, “not my will, but Thine be done”. This is the concept of emptying the self of all that one thinks is important and instead opening the self, the mind, and the body, including the joints of the body in particular, to something new, something different, something beyond this physical world.
A NEW SOURCE OF ENERGY
The modified Roy Masters exercise connects you with a new source of personal and healing energy. This may seem like a strange idea. However, it is no doubt true, and one can feel it, first as a slight tingling and later throughout the body.
This energy may be called etheric, or God, or Jesus, or vital force. Call it whatever you wish. Whatever it is, it is some type of primordial energy of life that promotes health, happiness and long life. It is also associated with certain human abilities that are not available when one is connected only to the physical and environmental sources of energy or physical reality. This is a key to understanding this meditation exercise and, to some degree, all prayer and meditation practices.
THE GOAL OF THIS PRACTICE
The goal of meditation is to activate your full potential. This is more than just calming the mind, or increasing one’s awareness, although these are among its benefits. It is a long, slow road, so it is best to begin now.
SECTION IV. SPECIFIC BENEFITS OF THIS EXERCISE
The effects of the new source of energy are many, and they occur on all levels of our being. For example, physical healing occurs because the subtle energy, as it enters the body through the head, automatically flows everywhere in the body and helps to deconstrict and decongest areas of the brain and body.
Many other subtle changes occur in the glands and other organs of the physical body. For example, the practice of sitting quietly and meditating as suggested inhibits the sympathetic nervous system. This is the fight-or-flight nervous system. Resting this system powerfully rests the adrenal and thyroid glands and assists the activity of the immune, digestive and elimination systems of the body.
Many other benefits flow from this one benefit to the nervous system. Breathing tends to automatically slow and deepen, bringing more oxygen to the body cells. As breathing changes, the body becomes better oxygenated. More oxygen in the body greatly assists the proper nutrition and metabolism in the body. This often brings healing all by itself and is the reason oxygen therapies are highly recommended for certain ailments.
Causing healing reactions. As the physical body shifts due to the effects of the meditation, you can expect some unusual or just annoying healing symptoms, at times. This is nothing to be concerned about and they will pass. Perhaps skip the meditation for a day if you feel your body needs to “catch up” or move through something one day.
On the other hand, at times, meditating more will move the reaction through faster. Some experimentation will be needed to learn how to best handle these situations. I may be able to assist you if difficulties of this type continue to arise. For example, you may be overlooking a procedure or aspect of your life that needs more attention.
So much change occurs on mental and emotional levels that a large section of this article will discuss just a few of the major ones.
Mental healing occurs for several reasons. Meditation is like a once or a twice-a-day mental checkup. Often you will find that you automatically review your day and plan for tomarrow without having to think about it.
Incomplete thought processes will be completed as the mind stops racing out of control. Most people do not realize that they are so busy with their momentary activities that they do not complete their thoughts, and many projects at home or at work. During meditation, many thought processes will complete on their own. This not only relaxes the mind and the emotions. Often, this also brings with it surprising insights and creative ideas for you.
Old mental and emotional traumas come up for viewing and are resolved in the light. This reduces stress dramatically. This is a very necessary process for many people’s physical and even more so their emotional and mental healing. It is not always pleasant, but if one will just observe whatever comes up with equanimity and an observing attitude, not judging whatever it is, then it will pass eventually. That is all that is needed in most cases. Rarely, it is wise to talk about your insights with a counselor or a good friend, but usually this is not necessary, nor is it always helpful since all that is usually needed is to let it go and move on. Talking for hours about it is not usually helpful at all.
Meditation also brings and keeps one in the present moment. This is where all wisdom and healing lie. Fear and anxiety are in the future, while guilt and remorse are in the past. You will begin to understand this much better as you meditate daily. This exercise is superb for keeping a person in the present time, something that most people have difficulty doing well and consistently.
The exercise is extremely grounding and centering. This is not true of most meditations, by the way. Grounding, which is the subject of an article on this website, is most important for healing for many people today. Especially as our world is changing rapidly, grounding and centering are extremely important for all healing processes.
Deprogramming, rather than reprogramming. The exercise deprograms the mind and even the body in many ways by upsetting and breaking up old tensions. That is, it slowly undoes your past traumas and issues.
In contrast, affirmations, most visualization and concentration exercises only reprogram the mind. This is a vital difference between this meditation and almost all others that I have seen.
Whitewashing Vs. Removal. This subject could fill an entire book. It means that other methods will tend to whitewash over your problems, fears, angers and the rest of the unwanted thoughts and emotions. Instead, the Roy Masters exercise will often do the opposite.
It will bring them up for review. If you are able to just observe them without too much reaction, they will then be released and you will be free from the original cause of the attitude, emotion or thought.
This process of deprogramming takes a few years, but is well worth the effort. Each level of traumas and hidden emotions and thoughts that you progress through clears more negative thought patterns. Little by little, you will be free and will function much better in every way. This is the same thing as what Christians call “conversion” or moving with the Lord or with spirit.
Deprogramming and Healing. Freeing negative energetic patterns also greatly opens the body for every kind of healing.
REMOVING ENTITIES AND ENTITY DISEASES
This meditation, and not most others, helps remove hundreds of harmful entities from the energy field of a person. Entities, as defined on this website, are discarnate souls, which just means souls that are not attached to bodies. They are usually souls that were attached to bodies, but the bodies died of natural causes, or were murdered. The souls are angry and often cause mischief. They can cause diseases, as well. Entity removal seems to occur for several reasons:
- More yang. This meditation exercise makes the body and energy field much more yang. This involves a contraction of the energy field that closes certain openings or tears in the aura or energy field in which the entities lodge and can live for years, at times. Closing these holes in the energy field is a great benefit of this particular meditation, and does not occur with most other mental exercises, or even with more prayer. To read more about yin and yang, read Yin And Yang Healing and Yin Disease on this website.
- Heating up the energy field. When a person does this meditation exercise daily, the powerful downward-moving energy and more yang quality of the energy field have a heating effect on the energy field. Almost all discarnate souls do not enjoy this and they leave the person’s energy field and bother someone else. To read much more about this topic, read Entity Attachment And Release on this website.
- Calming the mind and body. This effect of the meditation exercise also is hard on the discarnates, and causes some of them to leave. They prefer to hide in bodies and energy fields of those who are perpetually upset and unbalanced.
- Better overall health. This meditation, unlike most others, has a powerful healing effect on the entire body of anyone who does it. Entities thrive best in sick and discouraged bodies, and do not hang around when a person is more healthy and happy.
THIS MEDITATION IS:
- A Habit That Allows You to End Your Attachment To Mindless Habits.
- A Discipline That Helps Remove The Need For So Much Discipline.
- A Use Of Your Lower Will That Helps End The Reign Of Your Lower Will.
This meditation is a form of psychotherapy. It gently brings up hidden thoughts and attitudes so they can be examined objectively. It is a self-therapy that proceeds at your own pace and brings up issues in exactly the correct order. By cultivating the ‘witness’ in oneself, it shines the light of truth on every activity, relationship and event in one’s life. This has a powerful healing effect if one is willing to make needed changes that are best for oneself and best for others as well.
While regular psychotherapy can definitely be beneficial, problems with all psychotherapy are that one must interact with a therapist who is usually not completely clear about all of his or her own issues, so things become confused and distorted in all instances that I have observed. In other words, just interacting with another, while often helpful, also introduces other input and theories and so on that may not be relevant and often send the client off in random directions, many of which today are not helpful.
Also, with regular counseling, the therapist or client chooses which issues to discuss, the order to discuss them in, when it is enough, and the analysis of the problem. With this meditation, all of these issues are handled by God or the higher self much more accurately and seamlessly.
Negative and random, distracting thoughts suddenly are found to have less power. This is a mental effect that is quite startling to people. It has to do with observing one’s thoughts and the idea of bringing up and releasing old traumas. As this is done, the negative thoughts and feelings associated with the traumas stop coming into your mind.
You may find that oddly, you no longer feel sorry for yourself, for example, or you will strangely find you are less angry or upset with your family, perhaps. Automatically reducing this negative thinking is an incredible benefit for many people who have tried affirmations, prayer, other meditations and many methods to accomplish this goal.
This meditation is an anti-hypnosis. Roy Masters is a hypnotist by profession. He realized people did not need hypnosis to cure their problems. In fact, most are already hypnotized! Most people live in a light trance state that he calls “the hypnosis of life”. For example, television advertising, he says is just a way of giving many people a post-hypnotic suggestion to buy a certain car or brand of shampoo. Advertising may work because the population is already in somewhat of a trance state and are easily influenced by these silly ads. Advertising has other more spiritual aspects, however, which is to raise awareness and alert people to new products and services. However, many ads are aimed at unconscious and often hypnotic suggestions to lure people unconsciously. This is what might be called the dark side of advertising.
Meditation, by increasing awareness, very slowly assists one out of the hypnotic or very light trance state they are in and helps them come back to reality.
SECTION V. THIS EXERCISE VERSUS BRAINWASHING
The following chart helps explain the difference between brainwashing and this meditation exercise:
This Meditation Brainwashing
Mind training Mind manipulation
Develops the will Destroys the will
Non-violent Always violent
Not sexy Often a focus on sex
Causes more etheric Causes less etheric flow
Raises the Na/K ratio Lowers the hair Na/K ratio
Reduces trauma Causes trauma
Always healing Always damaging
‘Creating’ from within ‘Making’ from without
Less animalistic responses Animalistic responses
Enhances mental control Damages mental control
Opens energy centers Closes energy centers and spins
& with the correct spin them backwards
Enhances vitality Reduces vitality
Brings up issues and Suppresses issues
resolves them in the light
Enhances awareness Reduces awareness
Enhances intelligence Reduces intelligence
Brings in the Holy Spirit Brings in discarnate entities
& helps remove entities
This meditation will help develop healthier attitudes. Emotionally, one slowly becomes more centered and balanced in one’s attitudes and approaches to life. One becomes more centered in oneself, which is not the same as becoming self-centered. The difference between these two states is enormous. Centered in oneself means that one has a place of balance and peace within. This allows one to be much less self-centered, which means preoccupied with the ego self or selfishness.
These physical, mental and emotional effects combine to reshape the entire person, top to bottom, into a more loving, more unselfish, more enlightened being. This is the beauty of this meditation.
With this meditation, bad habits will tend to drop you. Interestingly, you will no longer be compatible with them. Many such habits simply stem from unawareness. As your awareness grows, you will see the roots of your habits. This meditation allows you to understand yourself without becoming morbid or negatively self-conscious.
You will see the process of your thinking and why you smoke, drink alcohol or engage in other habits or activities that deplete you. As you begin to take more of your cues from the higher self or real self, you will be less often triggered by people or events. Common sense and a spiritual sense take over. Change then becomes much easier. Life becomes simpler and happier without exerting any special effort, except to keep meditating even if you think you have “arrived” or become “enlightened”.
The exercise offers a simple way to retrain the mind to WATCH itself without judgment or condemnation. It is not, in itself, a way to solve problems, but a way to increase awareness.
By increasing awareness, one understands oneself and others better. This understanding brings solutions for problems without struggle or effort. The only effort required is to practice the exercise regularly.
This is a unique way to solve problems. I first read about the idea years ago in the books written by J. Krishnamurti. I highly recommend reading one of his books. However, while he recommends meditation as the solution to all problems, he does not offer a specific exercise, so the results did not come. I believe he practiced this same exercise but either did not wish to share the details or perhaps did not realize the need to share them clearly. As a result, his books are wonderful to read, but will not produce the same results as doing the recommended exercise in this article.
Witnessing is excellent if you cannot change your situation. Becoming a witness to your life is superb if you are in a situation that you cannot change. For example, some people are ill and it will take a few years to change this. Others are in a bad marriage, or have a very stressful job, or are in a location they do not like, but they cannot change these things quickly.
In these cases, learning how to just witness the situation without reacting greatly reduces stress and can save your life.
SEXUAL HEALING WITH THIS EXERCISE
The exercise with my modification is excellent for sexual health in the following ways. Some of the benefits below repeat certain benefits as they specifically apply to sexual attitudes and behaviors. The exercise can help one:
- To stay focused and centered.
- To provide a bit of sexual pleasure that is completely safe and does not deplete the body. It does not require a partner, so it can be done any time, by yourself.
- To provide a new perspective and truth that will illuminate and clarify all relationships and situations.
- To help dissipate and dissolve sexual thoughts and bodily sensations in a healthy way, without suppressing them.
- To release traumas and scars that affect sexual attitudes and behavior.
- To balance the sympathetic and parasympathetic nervous systems in a unique way that relaxes the body deeply.
- To develop what is called Power on this website. This is a wonderful benefit for sexual healing.
- To reduce an overly sexual ‘look’ that some people have that gets them in trouble. For example, doing the exercise correctly tends to flatten the chest, a little, if it is protruding too much. The exercise also corrects the tilt of the hips and other aspects of posture.
- To learn who you really are and learn new ideas, not those taught by society, friends, family and others.
- To improve one’s integrity, coordination of soul and body, and personality integration.
- To remove hooks, prongs, entities and other subtle imbalances.
- To reduce and eventually eliminate “twists” in the body structure that are the result of sexual traumas. This is very important, in some cases, to rebuild one’s health.
- To increase sexual and identity awareness, and aliveness.
- To thicken the silver cord that connects us with our spirit.
- To promote a healthy celibacy, if this is desired.
- To relieve muscle tension that always affects health.
- To help neutralize beams, implants and other attacks on the body, brain and soul that affects sexual attitudes and behavior.
- To help remove all infections and all toxins from the body, brain and soul.
- To help remove neuroses or fixations related to sexuality.
- To help promote etheric living. This is a less sexual but more enjoyable lifestyle based around development of the etheric envelope or etheric energy field.
- To increase the influence of the soul over the brain, and to increase the influence of the brain and soul over the feelings of the body.
- To learn what is real love, not sexual attraction or repulsion.
- For men, and for some women – to become a “pole”, which means strong, centered and grounded. For more on this topic, read the article entitled Poles And Climbers on this site.
- To learn how to conquer yourself and others and win, but without harming anyone.
- To learn what you really want and need.
- To control your body better.
- To lose fear.
- To balance yin and yang forces in the body and brain.
- To learn true gentleness, less selfishness, more self-control and self-governance.
- To become more independent.
- To help develop the upper energy centers. These tend to be associated with greater independence, less selfishness, more interdependence or ability to get along with others, more creativity and more knowledge and wisdom.
- To better connect the head and the heart.
- To improve self-esteem and get rid of sadness, depression and other negative emotions.
- To reduce toxic yang and toxic yin energy in the body, thus reducing weakness, violence and other harmful feelings and toxins in the body.
- To help correct sexual identity.
SECTION VI. USEFUL ANALOGIES TO HELP UNDERSTAND THIS MENTAL EXERCISE
This meditation is:
- Taming the wild beast of the mind. At times, the exercise can feel like ‘breaking’ a wild horse or trying to tame another wild beast.
- Coming home. It is like deciding to stay home, so to speak, and spend time with your real self instead of just running out all the time with various distractions and activities. This meditation is a way of being with oneself in a relaxed way, of viewing problems without running from them or having to react in any way.
- Turning down the volume of a blaring radio, so you can hear the more subtle music within.
- Going to the movies every day. However, the subject of the movie is yourself. This may seem boring, morbid or self-centered but it is really none of these. You are a child of God and to explore and see yourself in this way is a wonderful exercise that helps you to appreciate yourself and then to appreciate others at deeper levels as well.
- Magnetizing a piece of iron. This particular exercise is like stroking a piece of iron with a magnet to magnetize the piece of iron. One simply strokes the iron over and over again in the exact same direction and way, and sooner or later the iron becomes magnetized properly. It may take thousands of repetitions, however, to form a strong magnet. Once done, however, it is quite permanent, and indeed, it builds upon itself.
- Inducing a current flow in a transformer. A more exact analogy for this exercise is that of a transformer that induces a current. The exercise actually induces a kind of electrical current in the body. In a transformer, one wire that is connected to a battery or energy source is placed next to another one, although they are not directly connected. The current and voltage from the first wire, when set up properly, is able to induce or cause a voltage in the second wire. This is somewhat of a good description of what is going on with the Roy Masters meditation. The energized wire is the energy that one moves through the body. The body itself is the other wire that becomes energized, as a result.
- Being the bride of Christ and personally receiving God or the angels. You are working on your personal relationship with God each time you practice the exercise.
FROM EXTERNALLY CONTROLLED TO INTERNALLY MOTIVATED
This meditation helps enormously to shift the control or major influence on a person from the world and its hidden forces and agendas, toward control by the inner person. This makes room in the mind and opens the way, later, for receiving other excellent guidance that is not of this world.
Beware, however, any time the mind is made receptive to guidance. Change in this direction, however, takes time and occurs slowly and gently in most cases. If an opening occurs quickly, all the better. However, one must be on guard, at all times, against the intrusion of other beings into the mind who are not benign, or who are less benign. These are sometimes called negative souls or negative guides.
One must always use common sense in regard to following any possible guidance. It is imperative that one stay well rested, well-hydrated and well-nourished so the mind never is allowed to become unbalanced or too tired.
Meditation allows one to unfold from within, like a flower in the spring. In our physical development, we grow from the inside out, but mentally most people grow from without to within. That is, one’s education, friends, events and traumas shape the mind from the outside in. This meditation permits a different kind of mental and emotional development from within. It occurs according to one’s personal plan, not by accident or by the effects of others or random circumstances of ones life.
This is a fascinating concept of the unfoldment of the mental and emotional nature of an individual and few methods permit this type of unfoldment. I was told by Roy Masters and others that I might not even recognize myself as I begin to unfold from within. But not to worry, they said, because my positive qualities would be maintained. The only ones that would drop away would be those that were not truly mine, but instead had been “slapped on” by unthinking or just unconscious parents, friends, teachers and others. These need to be removed. Some may not like the “new you” but they are not your real friends, as the real ones will love that you are “coming into your own” in new ways.
THE ULTIMATE LIFESTYLE MODIFICATION
This exercise is the ultimate lifestyle modification because it will slowly shift every area in your lifestyle, often in interesting and unusual ways as you keep meditating.
SECTION VII. IMPROVED RELATIONSHIPS AND MORE LOVE
This meditation cultivates a relationship between the inner self and the outer self. In other words, it is a powerful way of cultivate a sincere, loving relationship with yourself, one that is not a relationship with the ego self. To cultivate a relationship with the ego self is easy, as the ego is always demanding things and one simply follows the impulses to eat some ice cream, perhaps, or buy some new clothes or put on some makeup to look better, perhaps.
This is a different kind of loving relationship that is not about the ego self or even about the mind. The mind is actually part of the ego. The mind might make demands, too, such as it wants to be entertained by going to a movie or perhaps it wants to be stimulated by reading a fascinating article or book, even this one. This is still of the ego self, though perhaps at a different level.
The relationship that is cultivated through this meditation is actually still at an ego level, but so subtle that it is far more health-producing and healing. It is actually a relationship with the most subtle aspects of the body-mind and spirit.
Because it is at this high level, however, it tends to straighten out and improve all of one’s other relationships with people, things, and events. By working on this relationship, all other relationships improve because one is in better touch with one’s deepest essence or higher self or God. For example, marriages often begin to work better, or perhaps one may realize that this marriage is not going to change much and another course of action is needed.
Children often begin to shape up and relate to your better because most children are more in touch with their deeper self, having had less time to learn and build up layers of ego defense mechanisms that adults have. All other types of professional and personal relationships also tend to get better. This does not mean they will all continue, since some are unhealthy and one will become more acutely aware of this fact. However, whatever happens, one becomes much more authentic, genuine, present, and not as easily fooled or manipulated by others.
While it is not discussed enough in psychology books, a key to relating to others is to not allow them to manipulate conversations and other activities. This may make others angry, but in the end it is best for them, as well, of course, as it is for oneself. Allowing others to control and manipulate oneself is just an ego game that is “par for the course” in most human relationships. When that comes to an end, some relationships will disintegrate or end, but that is as it should be. They will be replaced, inevitably, by better ones based upon deeper spiritual connections and real friendship rather than seeing if one can get one’s way with others, as is the more common style on earth.
As one learns to see oneself more clearly, one sees others with more clarity and discernment. Of course, not all your friends and family will like this. They may have been using your anger against you, manipulating you with praise or blame, flattering you to get what they want or intimidating you with idle threats. You will see all this more clearly and the relationship will change.
One becomes less influenced by images and illusions outside as you dissolve the images and illusions inside your head. One becomes less gullible and less vulnerable to other’s attempts to deceive and control you.
If a couple meditates, it is like adding a neutral third party or mediator to the relationship. This reduces ego fighting and the battle of the wills that often occurs between mates. This is an extremely powerful way of doing marriage counseling, by the way, without having to pay counselors. However, both parties must really do the exercise correctly, and that, unfortunately, is rare today. Usually one will do it thoroughly, while the other is still stuck in what he or she believes is correct and cannot truly let go completely into the exercise for fear that perhaps one will see that the perspective was not correct, after all. This is the only problem with recommending that a couple meditate together, so beware of this possibility.
MEDITATION AND LOVE
By loving oneself through taking the time and trouble to do this meditation, one becomes less dependent on the love of others, yet able to enjoy the love of others more. Meditation allows you to practice true love. Many people want to be loving, but they don’t seem to know how. By connecting to your higher self or real self, one is filled the love of the Creator. This can then be shared with others in endless numbers of ways. It can truly allow a person to do as the bible suggests, to “bless and forgive this world” in each moment.
This kind of love is detached, asks nothing in return, and is therefore more pure and unconditional. One can see what others really need, not what they think they need or what they say they need. It is the quality of compassion and not a bargaining session, as too much of “love” is on this planet, such as “if you love me I will love you. But if you do this or that, then I don’t love you any more”. This is purely an ego type of love, and not very spiritual at all.
By experiencing the “real thing”, one becomes aware of selfish motives and feelings that one thought were love. These include attachment, identification, projection, lust, ambition, sentimentality, enabling and pride. One will be able to let these go as one sees they are not very deep forms of love. This can help relationships of all kinds in fabulous ways if a person can remember that love is always blind in that it just loves, and does not look for anything in return.
This meditation is about getting to “know thyself” at a much deeper level. It is an impartial way to study the self and the mind. As one understands the self more deeply, power and control over the self increases. As you gain control over yourself, your emotions come naturally more under your control and begin to even out. They just have less power and effect.
In a sense, the real Armageddon is fought inside your head. When you have conquered yourself, meaning your own thoughts and emotions, dealing with the world is much easier. The world situation, you will see, is often no more than a reflection of the struggle that goes on inside each of us. By changing yourself, the spiritual struggle is won and the world tends to shift in amazing ways around you.
POWER AND AUTHORITY WITH OTHERS
After meditating for a while, you may find yourself more confident. You may also discover that you will have more control or authority with others. Some people will not like this, by the way, especially “old friends” and family who may have known you as you were before.
These people are often ones that are used to having you somewhat out of control so they can manipulate you in certain ways. This may sound negative, but is often true, and is just one truth that you will learn as you continue to meditate.
You will see how people feign the truth, change their voice to manipulate and control others, and use a hundred other sly methods, often without realizing they are doing it, to control others. As you see and feel these, you will be less influenced by them.
This will place you in a superior position of authority, and they will be unhappy that their little tricks don’t work any more. You must be ready for this, as it will cause some anger on their part in most cases. But it is best, of course, as their manipulative actions and words harm others and are not really helpful for the perpetrators, either.
GREATER ABILITY TO LOVE AND HELP OTHERS
Many times, we wish to help others but it doesn’t seem to work out. By allowing yourself to be loved unconditionally using this particular exercise, you will have a greater understanding of how to love others. Without any conscious effort on your part, for example, you will cease to spread around your stress and your negative thoughts and emotions you didn’t even know you had. This alone can have an amazingly calming and uplifting effect on everyone around you. They may not understand it, but will just realize that somehow Mom, Dad, Joe or Nancy is just nicer to be around these days.
You will have a greater sense of perspective and therefore become more knowing and compassionate. Compassion is a special kind of love in which you understand more. You will understand better what people need, when to intervene and when to leave people alone. Without even realizing it, you will start to manipulate people less and just allow them to be more. This also has a subtle calming effect on some people, though not all.
Positivity and happiness can tend to be of two basic types. This meditation tends to cause one to develop an honest positivity because one lets go of false negative ideas, delusions and useless emotions such as thinking that I am ugly, stupid, stubborn and worthless.
One’s understanding and perspective begin to derive more and more from the high self or real self, which is happy, free, relaxed and okay all the time because it is unaffected by the world. This kind of happiness develops slowly as layer after layer of unreality or unhappy ideas and emotions are removed from your mind.
This is very different from the “happiness” and “positive thinking” that many people experience, especially adults. Theirs is dependent upon temporarily blocking out the negative ideas and emotions, usually by turning their focus to something else such as their new house, their children, their job or friends or family, sex, food or something else, perhaps.
While there is nothing wrong with any of these things, if they are used to ignore or block out negativity, this is called a co-dependent relationship and it is not healthy. But is the common way in most people’s lives. It is very different, for example, than the joy felt by a newborn baby. They don’t need a new house or car or friend to feel good. When they are fed and dry, can just be happy without all these things, and they can often play by themselves for hours, as every mother and father knows, in harmony and peace, it seems, and without needing to run away from anything.
Increased awareness, or just knowing more, as a result of meditation, can be a great source of happiness. We all want to understand ourselves and others better. Awareness can bring that understanding and this is a source of joy for most people. Of course, awareness occasionally brings pain as one sees that the world is not as one thought it was. But that usually passes if one realizes that knowing the truth is best, even if it hurts, at times.
As you become happier inside, you will stop looking for happiness outside yourself, and this relieves a great amount of anxiety and stress, bringing even more happiness. This is another secret of meditation of this type.
Another way this meditation brings happiness is that, as the body heals, the cells begin to send messages of happiness and joy to the brain. This is a subtle type of happiness that may not be appreciated by some people, but it is the truth that a healthy body is easier to be happy within. Life flows more easily, one can sleep, digest and eliminate better, and the hormones that make us feel good are available in abundance. All this contributes to a happy outlook on life.
SECTION VIII. A POSITIVE MENTAL FOCUS AND A NEW WAY TO SOLVE PROBLEMS
This particular exercise can provide a new focus for one’s life – to calm down, and become centered and more self-aware. These are ancient ways to refocus the goals and purposes of one’s life that are not heard much today, but are nevertheless wonderful ways to refocus one’s life. Any shift of focus away from time-wasting and unhealthy ego pursuits has a healing effect.
Since meditation offers much greater clarity about ones life, this alone can result in new directions, new pursuits, new occupations and new relationships that are more healthful and satisfying.
Roy Masters likes to point out that this meditation is not a way to directly solve problems, but a way to increase awareness. This will slowly bring new insights that can help solve most problems. The principle is ‘the truth will set you free’. Mr. J. Krishnamurti, a famous author, once said, “Awareness brings its own action”.
Mental biofeedback. A principle used in the science of biofeedback is “Anything you can monitor, you can change”. Meditation is a form of biofeedback in that one monitors one’s thoughts and other mental activities. As one does this, thinking and feeling habits will change. Confucius said “If you understand a problem deeply enough, you will have the answer”. Meditation is a way to study yourself ever more deeply. This will bring answers to many problems.
Becoming more objective. Meditation is like carefully a studying a friend from an objective perspective. Often it is easier to solve friend’s problems, because one is less involved. The same will occur with one’s own problems as they are seen more objectively. Common sense will take over in many instances and help you solve your problem.
Learning to observe objectively. This meditation is a way to “gather the facts” about oneself and one’s situation in a new way. The trick is not to judge what you see or observe. Don’t say, “Oh, but this can’t be. That person seems so nice”.
Just keep observing and ask only for the truth to be revealed. With enough insight, solutions to problems become apparent. There is no need or benefit to adding any new thoughts or ideas of your own. It is enough to see what is. The underlying premise is that you know the answers. They are just obscured by confusion and misperceptions. This meditation is, in fact, a removal process. This differs from many exercises that seek to “affirm away” or cover over negative or undesirable thoughts or emotions.
Meditating in order to solve a problem is not the correct motivation for meditation. One should not “meditate on something”. However, it is fine to begin with this motivation. Later you can change your motive to just wanting greater awareness, which will in turn bring answers in their own time. In the meantime, if you do not know what to do about a problem, often it is best to just wait. In your helplessness, help will come.
SECTION IX. REDUCING STRESS WITH THIS EXERCISE
When the head is filled with racing thoughts, one is often unaware of danger and stress until it becomes extreme. As one meditates regularly with this exercise, one becomes aware of stress sooner and can take faster action. One becomes more like the wild animals who sense danger and react quickly, as by instinct.
For example, it allows you to feel tensions in the body each moment, so one can change posture, habits or other causes rather than let the tensions build up.
This meditation reduces stress in dozens of other ways as well, such as reducing negative and illusory thoughts and feelings, reducing stress on the nervous system, and more.
A POSITIVE STRESSOR
Emptying the self of the old and bringing in a new source of energy functions as a positive stressor. This means it stresses one, but in a positive or beneficial way. It brings in more truth, along with the subtle energy, so one can say it is the stress of truth and awareness. This places a spiritual stress on one that can result in character development.
The stress of needing to change. This meditation exercise will show one the truth about many things. One is not forced to act on the information, but If one does not act, the truth will be brought up over and over again. This is an interesting effect of increasing one’s awareness. Sadly, it causes some people to stop meditating, as they do not want to be reminded of certain truths.
This meditation moves energy downward through the body, from the head to the feet. This actually balances and opens all of the physical chakras or energy centers on the physical body. Slowly, this not only has a physical healing effect, but also it brings more etheric or vital energy into the body. This process is explained more in a separate article on this website entitled Downward Motion And Healing.
DESCENDING INTO HELL AND COMING BACK AGAIN AT WILL
Sometimes this meditation can feel like you are descending into a kind of hell or muck that is inside. The great thing is you are in control, so you dip into it, let the light shine on it, and when you have had enough for one day, you come back out of it and back into your waking state.
By doing this daily, a number of things happen:
- You become more comfortable with your subconscious mind, its dark thoughts or feelings. You learn to tolerate the muck better and better, able to move in and out of it, through it, and so on comfortably without getting slimed.
- You see more truth about yourself.
- You will and must come to actually love and, in a way, admire this “underbelly”, substructure, or whatever you want to call it. This makes you a more loving person, in fact. You are learning to love an important part of yourself that most people don’t even realize exists. However, it is a very important part of yourself and your development and structure as a person.
- Eventually, you come to embrace more and more parts of your mind and your self. This is powerful and important for many reasons. Not only will you know much more about who you really are, for example, with all the benefits of this knowledge. But also, for example, you will no longer feel the common and often strange need to run away from certain people, ideas, feelings or activities.
Most people dodge parts of their life, totally unconsciously, of course, but this is what they do. They “don’t want to go there”, as the phrase is called. Instead, they run to the parts of themselves and the activities they know and like more, not realizing that the motive is often to avoid other parts or thoughts or activities that remind them of unhealed parts of their mind.
- The real self, or the new energy spoken of above that flows in using this exercise, slowly heals all the unhealed parts of your mind. It slowly eliminates the dark thoughts, unsightly emotions and more.
This tends to happen quite automatically, by the way, as long as you don’t stop it and as long as you continue to meditate this particular way. Amazingly, you will not need to visit counselors for years, for example, when you find something you don’t like, or something that is just no longer appropriate or no longer what you want or need. You may visit a counselor, of course, but you will find that many of your ‘hang-ups’, fears, anxieties, hostilities, grudges, prejudices and much more just seem to evaporate one day on their own, without needing to talk about them for hours, or even understand them. This is quite remarkable.
The insights and change will usually not come while you are meditating. They tend to come afterwards, while you are just about your daily work or play. This may be because what occurs during meditation sets up new patterns in the mind, and when you return to everyday life the new pattern interacts and actually conflicts with your ‘old’ behaviors and thoughts, and suddenly you realize that you don’t like your old ways, which were usually unconscious, and you see that you can change quite easily.
This is a simple, clean, easy and inexpensive way to change any ‘bad’ habit, attitude, or behavior.
- Eventually, you will become very proficient dealing with your unconscious or sub-conscious mind. It is like getting good at karate or ju jyutsu fighting methods. And it is fun. It gives you an amazing power over yourself that others will find enviable. It can also help you through many tight situations.
- Eventually, you will conquer the mind. This means you will be more in control of your thoughts and feelings. Conquering the mind is rare on earth. It means you are more in charge, not your subconscious programming, old emotional wounds and traumas, and old thinking patterns.
SECTION X. RELEASING TRAUMAS AND DARK THOUGHTS
The process of releasing traumas through this exercise is rather interesting. It seems to be able to gently bring the mind to a peaceful place where you can view old incidents and traumas from a detached perspective, almost as if they happened to someone else. In this way, you can avoid some of the fear and anxiety that occur when old traumas are brought up to consciousness. This is what I mean that the process is rather interesting.
Also, the incidents and traumas, if they come up, will be brought up in a special order that is not your own. Instead, it is the body’s own order of trauma release. This is also important because many people think they know the correct order in which traumas should surface, but in fact, they do not because the brain is complex and the proper order of trauma release can be very subtle. Incidents or situations, for example, that you don’t even consider traumatic may have been quite so. In contrast, the situation that you consider traumatic may be less important than some situations that occurred long before, perhaps, that “set you up” for later problems. This is one of the few exercises that can help release traumas in this way.
The Roy Masters meditation with my modification is also a perfect companion for a nutritional balancing program to release traumas. For more on this important topic, read Trauma Release and Trauma Retracing on this website.
SECTION XI. SENSUAL ASPECTS OF THIS MENTAL EXERCISE
Sensual pleasure is not the goal of the exercise, but it is a byproduct when it is done correctly. It causes a slight tingling sensation in the body that is pleasurable. The more and the harder one moves the energy down from the top of the head toward the feet, the more pleasurable the tingling sensation. It is often felt at the first energy center, located slightly inside the body and between the anal opening and the scrotum in men or the vagina in women.
In Christian terms, this aspect may be called becoming the bride of Christ, becoming activated in Christ, feeling the love of God or the universe, being slain in the spirit or filled with the spirit. You can visualize yourself “impregnated” or “penetrated” by the holy spirit or God or the universe. You can also see yourself as the recipient of a kind of golden fluid that sparkles with life as it moves downward through the body. I could speak more graphically, but I will leave that to your imagination.
There is nothing wrong with thinking of the exercise this way. The exercise should bring a smile to your face, and can be a source of pleasure that is not dependent upon others, available at all times and places. Most important, it is the physical evidence that you are loved and lovable always, regardless of your age, physical appearance, health, mental status, or anything else.
Exercise for married couples. When you are together intimately, both partners must do the meditation exercise at the same time, moving energy from the head out the feet. This creates a powerful vortex and you will help each other to do the exercise more powerfully. There is a little more to it discussed in the articles entitled Down Sex and Couples Healing And Development.
SECTION XII. PROCEDURAL MATTERS RELATED TO THE EXERCISE
Distractions. You will probably find you cannot do the exercise for very long without becoming distracted. Thoughts arise, as may songs, memories or things you have to do later that day. Your body may itch or hurt, or you may even fall asleep. Just observe the thoughts and feelings without judgment and then bring your attention back to your hand.
Bring the attention back to the right hand thousands of times, if needed. Slowly, your mind will learn not to stray quite as much. You are training part of your mind to observe at all times. Some days will be easier than others.
Results. You may notice results within a week or less, or results may take longer. You may feel calmer, more detached, and you may gain insights. Often the insights will not come while meditating. They may come while you are doing the dishes or driving your car.
Each time you meditate, you alter the way you perceive the world. You will see things slightly differently. Some of what you see may not be pleasant. Just watch it all from a neutral place.
- Do the exercise as much as you can. There is no overdoing it. At least an hour or two daily is best. You can do it anytime and anywhere, although certainly do not do it while driving or some other dangerous activity. Roy Masters teaches that eventually you will be doing the exercise 24 hours a day.
- Each time you practice it, do the exercise as though it were the first time. It should never become a habit or mechanical. Do it a little deeper each time.
- Make meditation part of your lifestyle. Schedule it into your day so you don’t overlook this important new part of your life.
- Be patient. Benefits come in their own time, not when you think they should.
- Some days it will be easier to meditate than others. Several months to years may be required to refocus your mind. Just keep at it. It is something like training or retraining an old dog or cat. It may not be easy, at first. The reactive mind or ‘monkey mind’, as some call it, will fight you hard at times to stay in control, and to keep you out of control.
- If at all possible, be open to seeing the truth about everything. Also, be open to waking up and seeing yourself as you really are. You will see your faults and shortcomings. You will also become aware of many qualities and abilities that you didn’t know you had.
It is a very positive and happy experience, though it may have its moments of disillusionment and even disgust, perhaps. It is all part of the process as you become free of your past and all the false notions that you learned from your parents, friends, and others.
- Don’t worry much about “doing it right”. Follow the instructions and read this article many times, if needed. It is quite simple, in fact. Never complicate the exercise, and never move energy in any direction except straight downward. That is most important.
- Do not combine this exercise with chi kung, yoga, pilates, or other techniques. You can combine it with very slow walking, however.
WHAT TO DO IF YOU HAVE TROUBLE MEDITATING
It is perfectly normal to have difficulty meditating with this exercise at times, particularly when starting out. Here are several suggestions:
- Make meditation part of your daily lifestyle.
- Set things up so you have the time to do it in peace.
- Turn off the phone and, if needed, arrange for someone to watch your children.
- Go to the office early if you cannot meditate at home.
- Ideally, set up a special room and chair that you use just for meditation.
- On difficult days, think of disciplining an unruly child who has been spoiled for 20 or more years. Sometimes it will resist a lot. Don’t worry about it. Just say, “OK, we’ll do our best and perhaps we will do better tomarrow.”
- If you are an athlete or train at anything, you know that training involves good and bad days. Just take it all in stride. Meditation involves discipline, which comes from the same root as the word ‘disciple’. It is not about forcing things. It is about gently staying with or following your path and the results will come.
Gimmicks. Use gimmicks to help you stay with meditation. An excellent gimmick, if it can be called that, is to listen to a recording of the exercise like the ones provided at the beginning of this article. This can help a lot to maintain your focus and to time your sessions.
Another gimmick is to do the exercise while walking slowly, if you cannot sit still. Meditating while doing a coffee enema or a vaginal coffee implant is also excellent, since it forces one to lie still for 20 to 30 minutes while retaining the enema.
Any place you are confined to a chair such as during an airplane flight or at a pleasant concert can be an excellent place to meditate. Meditate in the bathroom stall if that is the only peaceful place where you find yourself.
Some people function better alone, while others prefer a group setting for prayer and meditation. Therefore I will discuss the benefits and disadvantages of each situation.
Benefits of groups. These are many. Among them are:
- Social networking and social interaction. This may ease tensions, spreads friendships and love, and relaxes some people.
- A positive group setting. For some people, getting out of their home or work environment and going to a clean, happy group setting is a wonderful benefit, especially if the home is chaotic, noisy or lack moral and other types of support for the person.
However, this usually involves more time, driving, and some disruption of one’s regular schedule, so a balance must be struck.
- Dealing with meditation problems. Groups can sometimes bring up and deal with problems that occur during meditation better. These have been discussed in the paragraphs above.
- Help with discipline and consistency. Groups definitely help those who are not as good with discipline.
- Group loving and healing. This means that there is an energy in a good group that can relax, ease tensions and help heal everyone in the group. Some need and want this more than others. Very advanced students may be held back by this energy, however.
- More learning. Group settings can be good for spreading more knowledge.
- Spiritual development and healing, especially for beginners. Group energies can be extremely beneficial and positive for new members, especially. This has to do with the field of energy that is created by any group process.
- Easier for some guides to work with groups. Guidance is real and present always. Guides can often work more easily with some prayer and meditation groups because there is a common, shared bond of energy. This is most important, once again, for beginners. Later, guides prefer working on one person at a time in a more isolated setting such as at home, rather than in a diverse group with many levels of energies and abilities.
Problems with groups. These include:
- Slows the more developed people. The energy of the group is often not clean and pure enough for a more advanced person. Thus groups are usually best for beginners, although not all of the time.
- Inadequate leadership can disrupt or even ruin a group.
- For example, socializing and networking at group meetings is fun, but can waste time and be distracting for the more serious participants.
- Power and control issues, at times. Struggles often develop in groups for leadership, for time spent talking to the group, and other things. This can dilute the benefits of the group.
- Logistics problems. One must drive and spend extra time going to and from the group. Group meetings may be at inconvenient times or places. People may have to wait for the group, and go at the pace of the group. All of this, at times, can waste valuable time.
- Going off course. Groups can easily deviate from the stated purpose of the group. This is often led by beginners who don’t understand the purpose of the group well enough. It must be stopped gently but firmly. Otherwise, the group transforms into something different than it was intended.
- Sometimes groups are not safe, as predators may join to pick up women or men, or for other selfish reasons. Leaders need to be sensitive to such issues.
- Advanced students generally make faster progress on their own, though not necessarily.
HOW TO COPE WITH WHAT COMES UP DURING MEDITATION SESSIONS
One reason some do not continue with meditation is the fact that, at times, negative thoughts or feelings from within a person arise and this can be very disconcerting. If possible, learn to just observe whatever comes up during meditation.
Be grateful for seeing the truth, even if it is unpleasant. You do not have to react in any way. Definitely do not judge yourself or others. If you wallow in your thoughts or insights, it will keep them around. It is best to view all thoughts, emotions and insights as you would view clouds in the sky. As they arise, just observe them and let them go.
SECTION XIII. CAN CHILDREN MEDITATE?
This exercise is quite sophisticated and will be quite difficult for children to do. Also, most will not be interested in it. If they are, so much the better. However, Mr. Masters says that for children, the presence of a parent who meditates, and who is clear and centered as a result, is meditation for a child.
By the way, the same is true of a couple if one person meditates and the other does not. To some degree, the mere presence of the one who meditates is a type of meditative practice for the other person. He or she will feel many of the effects of the meditation, such as the arising of deeply held emotions and thoughts, that will come up spontaneously, at times, when around the person who meditates. This can be difficult for a relationship, incidentally, if the one who does not meditate does not wish to see the truth.
SECTION XIV. HOW THIS MENTAL EXERCISE DIFFERS FROM OTHERS
Prayer, for some people, is not too different from the mental exercise described in this article. Both can involve asking and emptying the self, for example. However, many times prayer is a more rote exercise for people involving just the repeating of various words and phrases. This is not the same. This meditation does not require or involve any words or phrases or mantras at all. In fact, it is purely energetic and if you add any words, prayers or mantras to it, you will either negate it altogether or at least weaken its effect.
However, to say a prayer at the beginning, and even for a while at the end to help with closure, is fine. But realize the exercise is very specific to bring in a new energy by emptying the self of the old.
Prayers also often specific rituals and doctrines. This meditation requires no doctrine whatsoever. The only ritual is to empty the self and allow and even force the energy down from the head into the hand and eventually the feet. That is all. One’s religion, nationality or belief systems do not matter in the least.
In fact, this is a danger with this meditation, in that anyone can use it for his or her benefit, even if the person is not the most honest or high integrity person. This is a danger with this method. I am not too concerned, however, because the exercise takes a fair amount of work and dedication to receive the benefits.
Is it a religion? This exercise is certainly not a religion, and can be done by anyone, as stated above. However, I see it as the basis for a new religion, perhaps. The reason is that it is a way to get in touch with oneself, which is the real meaning and desire of religions. The danger, of course, is that someone will design a religion around the exercise and fill it with other rituals and doctrines until the basic exercise is forgotten. This has happened before in history.
Is it relaxation, visualization, self-hypnosis and concentration? The exercise does involve some visualization and some concentration. However, these are not the goal or the central focus of the exercise. That is how it differs from most of these other exercises. This meditation is certainly not self-hypnosis, a concept that is the very opposite of wanting to remove or eliminate all hypnotic tendencies of the mind.
Repetition of words, phrases or mantras tends to produce a somewhat hypnotic state, and this is one reason this is not employed with this exercise.
What about breathing with the exercise? This is not required. Adding special breathing, such as counting to 10, or holding the mouth or tongue a special way, can definitely distract one and slow progress with this exercise.
If one wishes, a very simple breathing method called circle breathing may be used an might enhance progress. One simply moves energy up the back during the inhale and down the front of the body on the exhale. That is all there is to it. However, recall that one is supposed to be moving energy down the body at all times, so this should be done as well. In fact, energy will circulate this way – up the back and down the front – to some degree. However, pushing the energy or drawing the energy down the front is by far the most critical and important.
SECTION XV. MEDITATION AND THE PURPOSE OF LIFE
This exercise concerns some basic qualities of life on a metaphysical level:
- Self-awareness. This is a purely human trait, one not shared much by animals or other life forms. This meditation directly assists anyone to increase self-awareness.
- While diet, lifestyle, nutritional supplements and detoxification are all critical and never to be overlooked, the mind is also very important for healing. It is either your friend and ally or, in many people, it just gets in the way. Worry, fears, desires, racing around all the time and other things use up most people’s energy. This meditation can do a lot to bring the mind under your control and learn to use it to assist healing on many levels.
- Spiritual development. The development of the chakras or energy centers of the body is everyone’s birthright as a human being. Very few, however, make much progress with it. This meditation allows it and assists it easily. This can extend life and allow achievements that most people cannot even imagine. We have all read about the possible unfoldment of super-human abilities in ordinary human beings. This meditation may allow this to occur for you as well.
Most people live the ego lifestyle, going from goal to goal, often trampling others to achieve their goals. Meditation allows you to grow from the inside. You will find, if you do the exercise regularly, that your outer life, work, relationships, family matters and more will change for the better, often in unusual ways. As you meditate, you let go of the blocks that are in the way of your happiness and success.
For more about how to succeed with this meditative exercise, please read Qualities Of A Broadcaster on this site.
Masters, R., How Your Mind Can Keep You Well, The Foundation of Human Understanding, Grants Pass, Oregon, www.fhu.com.
To obtain a CD with the enhanced meditation exercise and its explanation, click here.
To listen to the exercise online free of charge, click here.